Monday, October 14, 2013

Why I'm obsessed with Birchbox

While the word "obsessed" is a term I seem to over use...I promise I am not throwing it out lightly in this scenario. I am not so slightly obsessed with Birchbox.

For those of you who don't know about Birchbox, it is a company that sends out 4-5 beauty related "samples" each month. I'm hesitant about using the word samples because in many cases I have been sent full sized products as well as sample sized products. While Birchbox has both male and female options, I am going to focus on the female boxes in this post. The female Birchbox costs $10 a month. This is comparable to some other monthly beauty box subscriptions currently out. It seems that Birchbox and Ipsy are the two most prevalent. Both are the same cost, do essentially the same thing, and are great pick me ups each month...so why is Birchbox my favorite?

I have a few reasons. The first and most important reason is Birchbox's points system. For every product you receive each month, you are given the opportunity to do a quick review on the website. This is as simple as filling in some bubbles. After completing these reviews, you are rewarded 10 points for each. This means that each month, you are accumulating approximately 50 points. So why does that matter? Well...for every 100 points you earn, you are given a $10 credit to the Birchbox shop. The Birchbox shop carries full sizes of all the samples you've received, and other great products. There are always way too many things that I want in the Birchbox shop so putting those points to use is never an issue. So since you're getting 50 points a month, you're technically only paying $5 per box. The other $5 is given back to you in credit to use in the shop. And while it isn't given back to you in cash, I'm pretty sure Birchbox points are just as good for any beauty junky like myself. You also get 100 points for EACH friend you refer to Birchbox. I've referred 3 people in my time with Birchbox...which means I've gotten another $30 to spend in their shop...just for telling people about my awesome experience!

Another reason I prefer Birchbox is the quality of the products I'm receiving. Ipsy gives plenty of full sized products, however they are more often then not low-quality, drugstore brand makeup. Don't get my wrong, I LOVE my Revlon, Cover Girl, etc. but in my opinion, the thing that makes Birchbox so great is that it opens my eyes to new and amazing products that I would have NEVER purchased on my own. With Ipsy, yes I may get a full sized NYX blush, but this is something that costs under $8 so I probably would have tried it on my own if it seemed appealing enough. Birchbox introduces me to hair oils that cost $30 a bottle, perfumes that cost $70 a bottle, mascara that costs $23....things that unless I knew for SURE how great it was, I would never spend the money on. Thats the whole point in sampling things isn't it? Not getting full sized products but being able to try new, quality products.

Now don't get me wrong, Birchbox still gives out full sized products every so often. I've been purchasing Birchbox's for almost a year and a half now but just off the top of my head I have received the following full sized products:
-Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen- $18
-Model Co Lash Xtend Mascara- $24
-Model Co Party Proof Lipstick- $24
-Mally Mascara- $20
-Eyeko Skinny Liquid Liner- $16
-Incoco Nail Appliques- $9

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but thats a lot of full sized products...and that doesn't even mention the great sample sizes that were also included in the boxes. I've also received a TON of generously sized nailpolish samples. Many samples are deluxe sized, meaning they are more then just foil packets. DDF and Stila give out incredibly generous sample sizes for example.

Birchbox also has incredible costumer service. If there are any issues with a sample, or any questions/concerns they are prompt and efficient in responding. While they don't make mistakes often, on the rare occasion they have I have been helped quickly and have been given points or replacement samples. They are always kind and understanding as well. They have such quality costumer service!

I signed up for Birchbox excited for the makeup products, but I've found myself enjoying the hair and skin products most. I've used my points to purchase Beauty Protector hair spray which I can't live without now, DDF brightening cleanser, Orfluido hair oil, Shea Terra Black Soap, and more. These have all become such crucial staples in my beauty regime and I can't thank Birchbox enough for introducing me to such awesome products!

So if you are even slightly interested in hair, skin, makeup, and nails...sign up NOW. Birchbox gives you quality and will introduce you to great new products. And at the end of the day, it really only costs you $5 a month...so give up that Frap from Starbucks this week and treat yourself to something you'll get much more enjoyment out of. You wont be disappointed!

Here are a few pictures of past boxes I have received, just to give you an idea!


What are you waiting for?! Go sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment